At Maroba, we take pride in our work not only here but in the communities within which we operate.
Our social responsibility aspirations cover our environmental and economic impacts as well how we can improve the quality of people’s lives across our region.
Now’s the time to learn more about our professional care services. Perhaps it’s getting too difficult to get to the doctor, dentist or hairdresser, or to meet with your friends. At Maroba, we offer you a range of aged care services to make life easier, more comfortable and more secure.
Maroba, under the guidance of CEO Viv Allanson, and with support from the board and all stakeholders, sets sustainability and social responsibility guidelines and KPIs, aiming to improve year on year.
In order to achieve our aims, we encourage our employees to make a difference, whether that be through innovations in energy savings or volunteering outside Maroba to educate friends, family and the wider community. We’ve even created our own Green Team, a group of employees who meet regularly to discuss ways to save energy and improve our engagement in the wider Hunter community.
Actions demonstrate commitment
Our CEO, Viv Allanson, was awarded the Cambridge University Prince of Wales scholarship to complete the sustainability leadership program along with 25 business leaders from around Australia. One of our recent wins is establishing a project team to enhance our individual and personalised approach to residential aged care.
We’re also developing a supply chain that measures up against our performance requirements in social, ethical and environmental sustainability.
To measure ourselves, we undertake accounting, auditing and reporting – participating in state-wide benchmarking to monitor utility use, plus internally monitoring each care unit to compare electricity use.
Maroba Manor was designed to be as environmentally sustainable as possible.
Environmental features include:
- 100kW Solar system
- Solar hot water
- Rain water tanks
- Efficient air-conditioning complemented with natural ventilation
- Double glazing on windows, with external fixed window shading
- Superior insulation
- Heat flushing
- Sustainable products, fittings and inclusions
What’s next in social responsibility?
A Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Strategy
Our strategy uses each of the seventeen sustainable development goals to create a project around social responsibility. Some of our 2017 projects include:
The Hunter Aged Care Dining Revolution
This project is going to have a huge impact on CSR, by:
- Bringing together multiple stakeholders (our residents and staff, other aged care organisations, and a bunch of wonderful suppliers, including Coles Refrigeration, Catering Industries, Comcater, Flavour Creations, Bunzl, Dudson, Aged Care Linen Specialists)
- Improving the dining experience for our residents
- Providing a financial resource for our sister aged care village in rural South Africa, St Antonine’s (we will be donating proceeds from each event hosted!)
Resource Management Program
We’ve built a new resource management tool that allows us to track and report on our consumption of:
- Waste and Recycling
Our progress will appear on the Sustainability News page, and each year in our Annual Report.
We’ll be regularly auditing our energy consumption by:
- Monitoring our behaviours (for eample: making sure the lights are off if no one is in the room and turning off the air conditioner if the windows are open)
- Monitoring our systems
- Research new technologies (in 2017 we will be looking at solar storage)
Gold Sustainability Advantage Partner: NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
We’re very excited about this application we’re about to lodge. If we’re accepted, Maroba will be the first aged care facility to achieve this recognition.
We welcome your interest in Maroba. If you have any feedback on our social responsibility aspirations, please call us on 02 4935 0300 or email us at email@example.com