Aspirations aren’t enough.
To be effective we need to set targets and then measure ourselves against pre-defined benchmarks.
Our social responsibility aspirations cover our environmental and economic impacts as well how we can improve the quality of people’s lives across our region.
We determined that our key environmental impacts are in energy and water, waste, transport and procurement. For each area below, we set out intentions then established benchmarks and KPIs for year-on-year improvement.
Our Focus Areas
The five areas on which we focus are:
- Eliminate energy wastage
- Understand our waste stream profile and set targets to decrease waste to landfill per resident per day
- Lower our intensity of carbon output per resident per bed day
- Achieve high levels of environmental design in future developments
- Analyse our performance and set measurable targets
- Raise awareness with our stakeholders through environmental reporting (internal and external)
- Demonstrate commitment through leadership and participation in external and internal think tanks
- Proactively engage our supply chain to achieve our environmental objectives
- Enhance our reputation through the achievement of environmental objectives
- Create a sustainable behaviour change in all stakeholders
- Prove that our solutions positively benefit our stakeholders
- Create opportunity for feedback on environmental issues for all stakeholders
We have established planning and management systems, with KPIs based on resource use per resident per day. To meaure our performance, our metrics include electricity, gas, water, fuel and waste disposal.
We enter the data to a spreadsheet each month and generate a graph to track our progress.
This helps us to monitor and compare areas and allows staff to check their area against another to see what’s working. Take a look at our environmental benefits analysis results – we’re thrilled!
Achievements to date
- SAVE 5,000 kWh a year in lighting: Replaced some lighting (mainly corridors and stairs) with LED lighting
- SAVE on energy costs and water use in Maroba Manor: Solar hot water, rain water tanks, large water tanks, natural ventilation, double glazing
- SAVE approx. $5,660 a year in drying: Gas-powered dryers have drying time reduced by 5 minutes a load
- REDUCE volume of waste diverted to landfill: Introduced Simavita to reduce use of incontinence aids with a signed agreement with Relivit to recycle incontinence pads.
- SAVE energy: Replaced heavy wattage electric heaters with reverse cycle split air-conditioners in the Hostel
- SAVE energy: Reduced the speed of the water pumps from high to medium
- GENERATE approx. 49,000 kWh of electricity each year: Installed photovoltaic cells on 23 self-care units
- GENERATE two-thirds of our daily energy consumption in the Hostel: Installed 100 kW photovoltaic cells on the Hostel roof
- LOWER fuel consumption and carbon emissions: Replaced three petrol-powered vehicles with diesel
- LOWER water, chemicals and gas use: Use smaller towels for peri-washing, so reduce washing and drying times
- LOWER water, chemicals and gas use: All washing and sanitising done only on full loads
This is just the beginning; we’re innovating and making savings every day.
We welcome your interest in Maroba. If you have any feedback on our social responsibility aspirations, please call us on 02 4935 0300 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org