Resident agreement

Make sure you understand the finances behind aged care. Knowing from the start what the costs are, and how you can pay for them, takes a lot of the stress out of the move.

At Maroba Caring Communities, we’re very happy to help. We can explain what the costs are, what each type of charge is for and how it will be paid. If you’d like to talk to someone at Maroba about the finances behind the move to aged care, simply call us on (02) 4935 0300 or email us at

Fees and Charges

Once you have made the decision or are thinking about moving into Residential Aged Care, there are three main types of costs that you may be asked to pay at Maroba:

  • A basic daily fee: this covers living costs such as meals, power and laundry. For some people this is the only fee they are required to pay.
  • A means-tested care fee: this is an additional contribution towards the cost of care that some people may be asked to pay. The Department of Human Services will work out if you are required to pay this fee based on an assessment of your income and assets, and will advise you of the amount.
  • An accommodation payment: this is for your accommodation in the home. Some people will have their accommodation costs met in full or in part by the Australian Government, while others will need to pay the accommodation price agreed with the aged care home. The Department of Human Services will advise which applies to you based on an assessment of your income and assets. Click to read more

Accommodation Payments – new from 1 July, 2014

From 1 July 2014, new rules relating to accommodation payments become effective.

Residents who enter permanent care at Maroba with an Aged Care Assessment Team approval for residential care after 1 July 2014 have the choice of paying a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) or a Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) or a combination of both.

The amount of accommodation payment you pay will be determined by the type of accommodation you choose at Maroba. Click to read more

Resident Agreement

It is important to us that we form a strong personal relationship with you and your family when entering our care. We also promote clear expectations around fees, your rights and responsibilities and services we will provide through a legal document called the Resident Agreement.

Where does Centrelink come in?

In some cases, you may have already had an interview with a Centrelink representative. You could read the information provided on the Centrelink Government Website or call Centrelink on 132 300 – you’ll probably find it much easier to have a real person explain everything to you face to face. They’ll explain how your pension payments work, any means tests and other relevant information.

Take someone with you.

It’s a good idea to take a family member or friend along to the Centrelink interview as it’s hard sometimes to remember all the requirements and the breakdown of the payments. Once you’ve spoken to Centrelink and decided that you’d like to move into an aged care community, they’ll give you a Residential Agreement that you’ll need to sign.

You’ll want to look over this with family and friends and read it carefully; perhaps, even ask your family solicitor for advice.